Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Web 2.0 Awards & yelp.com

I went to seomoz.org and read all about the web2.0 awards and about what web 2.0 is. It is a very interesting site with a lot to offer. There are so many categories for awards. I decided to take the selfish, non-professional route and go to the winner under City Guides & Reviews, www.yelp.com. The first thing that happened was that as soon as I went there, the site knew I was interested in Baltimore. How does it know that? Anyway, it asked if that's where I wanted to go, and I said yes. There are many categories of interest in the site, but I chose to look at restaurants. Under restaurants, there are again many categories. I chose seafood and read about the fantastic crabcakes to be had at Faidley Seafood and G & M Restaurant. They sound good to me. I also wanted to see how Charleston was rated, since I thought it was a wonderful restaurant for a special occasion. There were only two reviews, and they weren't very good. One was by a real sourpuss, Natasha R, so I discounted what she had to say, especially when I later saw her being just as negative in reviewing two other restaurants, Petit Louis Bistro (which I also like) and G & M. Obviously that is one aspect of Web 2.0 to be aware of, people can be extremely subjective and can say just about anything they want to, because there is little editorial control. (I think there may be some, because where people used curse words, either they bleeped them themselves or someone else did. Things are abbreviated or a letter is changed. You know what the person is saying, but it isn't spelled out.)
Could this site be useful in the library? Absolutely. If someone asks about places to go, it has recommendations and a map with the place marked on the map. You can zero in or out, just like on Mapquest. I checked on Pizza, and sure enough Matthews was at the top of the list. I've seen it on "Best Pizza" lists before. It's a place I've got to try as well as the crabcake places. Natasha R didn't review this place, so the reviews were all good.
I went on to desserts & bakeries. Everything sounds so good. I want to try them all.
Is the site totally comprehensive? No. I looked in some other areas by keyword -- rug cleaners (they listed three), ceramic tiles (listed several, but not the really great one I've been to recently in Parkville). They do list places they have no reviews for, such as the rug cleaners. And they do ask for you to contribute if they are missing something. To offer a more comprehensive review of the site, I wanted to move away from the Restaurants and Food categories, but then I saw that those really are the emphasis. They're the areas with the most reviews by far. So now I don't feel so guilty.

No comments: